If you live in an area susceptible to earthquakes, make sure to talk to your Gennock Insurance agent to determine whether you are covered, or if you should purchase separate earthquake coverage.

Know if you are covered for an Earthquake

Your agent will talk you through your options and discuss home improvements that can make it eligible for an earthquake endorsement or policy, but it’s important to note that California residents must purchase a separate earthquake policy.

Know what your Insurance Covers and how much you need

  • Deductibles and the amount of coverage for earthquake damage vary by state.
  • Your policy may not cover the entire cost of rebuilding.
  • Exterior buildings, decks and landscaping are generally not covered.

You Can take Action to Reduce Damage

To reduce damage inside, think “heads up.” Look at your ceiling and walls to see what might fall.

  • Anchor bookcases and filing cabinets to walls.
  • Secure ceiling lights, suspended ceilings and other hanging items to the building structure.
  • Anchor water heaters and large appliances to walls using safety cables or straps, and lock the rollers of all appliances and furniture.
  • Fit all gas appliances with flexible connections and breakaway gas shut-off devices or install a main gas shut-off device.
  • Consider working with a registered design professional or licensed building contractor to reduce potential damage to the structure of your home or business.
  • Add anchor bolts or steel plates between your home’s structure and foundation
  • Brace the inside of your home’s cripple wall with sheathing.
  • Brace unreinforced chimneys, masonry, concrete walls and foundations.